Monday, May 29, 2006

Barefoot and blogging in the park



A person sat idly surfing on the net while sat in an idylic park setting must be one of the iconic images of the wif-fi age. It gives us the sense of freedom from cables and wires that the new technology offers, the idea that we can use the internet when we want, where we want and how we want. I, for one have been seduced by such images, and for the last few years I have looked on with barely controlled envy as cities such as San Francisco and Philidelphia put such dreams into practice.

So you can imagine my joy when I discovered that you can do the same here in Thessaloniki, a place not famed for either the abundance of its parks nor ease of access to the internet. I found a place near the White Tower where I could happily write this post while relaxing in the shade of a tree.

However, as with so many dreams the reality is not quite what I expected. The ground is hard and unforgiving, you have to squint to see what's on the screen and the keyboard is beginning to look like an outake from A Bug's Life. Maybe a nice, soft sofa in an air-conditioned room isn't so bad after all? LOL.

Maybe blogging outside is like picnicing; Nine tenths anticipation and one tenth participation ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. I've had some very similar experiences - like thinking how great it would be to spend a few hours in a Starbucks doing some work. Sipping a coffee, relaxing in the sofa...nobody bothering you to leave. But, as you so aptly put it, the experience is rarely how we imagine it.

IT's never quite as cool as it looks, like say in the movies.

And I thought I was the only one who had these experiences...

teacher dude said...

Ever since You've Got Mail I've dreamt of being able to surf the net when and where I liked. Alas, the movies make things looks so much better than real life.

Still, I was at the same spot today, chatting with someone fro Thailand who was stuck in some stuffy abnk. So, I guess I earned some bragging rights.