Friday, September 01, 2006

Wake up and smell the coffee


I just finished my private lessons and I thought I just have to write something about what happened to me today or I'll just explode. I went into the school today to talk about my programme over the coming winter. When we discussed this briefly at the start of summer it was made very clear to me that I'd have to commit more hours to the school in the future.

Usually, I do private lessons as that is the only way you can make a living as a teacher here in Greece if you are not in the public sector. The problem is that the more hours I work in the language school the poorer I become. However, imagine my shock when the programme offered was far fewer hours than I had been led to believe and spread all over the week, dramatically limiting my opportunities for private lessons.

If you think that I can get more money being unemployed than I can working a 10-hour teaching programme for advanced students then you understand why I'm less than enthusiastic about taking the school up on their "generous" offer.

2 comments:

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

At least you got some hours... I'm still on a job hunt! Good luck with your private lessons!

teacher dude said...

Thanks Dora and good luck.