Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Dith Pran - Last Word


"New York Times photographer Dith Pran survived the Cambodian killing fields. He dedicated his life to telling the story of the Khmer Rouge's genocide." - New York Times

To see a video of his last interview click here.

When I was growing up I first learnt about the Killing Fields from John Pilger when I had the opportunity to see him deliver a talk about his experiences re-entering Cambodia after the fall of the Khmer Rouge regime. The documentary, Year Zero (see the video below)and his lecture, which I attended when I was 16 made me want to become a journalist, an ambition that I then discarded when I realised that becoming one involved so many ethical compromises, at least in most cases.


I still admire those journalists that through sheer strength of will or talent manage to overcome those hurdles and speak out about issues that really matter rather than those that will raise circulation numbers.

Ironically, I've started doing my own bit of journalism at Nowpublic.com but without the pressure of having to please an editorial line I'm free to write about what I consider important.


No comments: