Thursday, April 13, 2006

Waiting for OTE

I read that Iceland (pop. 300,000) now has nearly 80,000 DSl users compared with Greece (pop. 10,700,0000) which has 150,000!!!

Yesterday I enquired about getting a DSl connection from OTE (the Greek state telecommunications organisation) and was told that there is a waiting list in my area. When I asked about how long I could expect to wait, the woman just shrugged her shoulders and said nobody knows. You've just got to love civil service lifers.

It could be worst When I first applied for a telephone line in 1991 I was told that it would take anywhere between two and seven years (even though I lived 500m from there nearest offices). At least now we're talking months not years, at least I hope so.

3 comments:

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

Hi! Why don't you try forthnet? I hear they offer DSL lines as well and also cheaper

teacher dude said...

I originally tried to sign up with Vivoldi but thet said that I couldn't get a connection until OTE had upgraded the lines in the area. I assumed that would be true for Forthnet as well. Still, I ask Forthnet to confirm this.

Thanks for the tip.