Monday, April 24, 2006

Looking around





Taking time off.

It’s a public holiday today so the city is quite empty and most of the shops are closed. I thought that it’s a great chance to be a tourst again. I decided to take a walk through Ano Poli (the old town) and by chance went past the old castle (Genti Koule) which overlooks the whole city. I don’t know why but I’ve have never been inside even though I’ve lived nearby for years. Luckily, the place was open and so I went in and took a few photos.

Originally built as a part of the city’s defences in 1431 (according to the leaflet I picked up), it was converted into a prison in 1890 during the last years of Ottoman rule. It later gained notoriety as place of imprisonment and execution during the 20th century.

It’s hard to imagine these terrible moments on such a beautfiful day when the sun is shining.

4 comments:

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

Great pics! They show a "different" view of the city!

teacher dude said...

It's worth making the trek up to see the place, especially in spring when the place is quiet and full of flowers.

Makes a change to see something of Thessaloniki other than the White Tower and the seafront.

teacher dude said...

BTW I hope you had a great time on Sunday. Χρονια πολλα.

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

Too much to eat.. I'm on a diet starting tomorrow (lessons too - FCE students!)
Χρόνια πολλά