Friday, April 07, 2006

the final straw

Or "το ποτηρι ξεχειλησε". I had my final lesson with my troublesome student today. I went to the house and ended up telling his father a few home truths. I decided on a policy of total,if diplomatically put, honesty. The kid is just not ready to make the effort needed to pass the exams. He keeps on complaining that he has too much homework, which is kind of hilarious as he only has one hour of English a week and exams in five weeks time.

Basically, the student has so many gaps in his English that he's going to fail the ECCE. I warned him last week that unless he started to take the lessons more seriously I'd stop. Well, he came out with the same lame excuses that he's been using for the last three lessons and so I said, "That's it!" I think that it shocked him and his father that I actually walked, since people just don't do that here.

I thanked the father and wished the kid luck with his exams (you never know, I may be wrong) but I'm not going to take money off people knowing there is nothing I can do to help.

No comments: